Skills and Highlights
- Over 15 years experience building and documenting
- Over 10 years experience developing web applications and web sites
SQL database applications, including work group, client/server, and
web-based applications; Java and C programming in graduate-level
- Experience designing and writing technical, end-user, and
- Solid product marketing and development experience.
- Visual interface and user interaction design experience.
- Experience managing people and technical projects.
Salesforce.com — 4/2011 to present
Salesforce is the leading
cloud computing platform for business applications.
Senior Technical Writer
Aldosoft — 7/2003 to 4/2011
Aldosoft is a single-person consulting
firm specializing in database-backed web sites built on Open Source
technologies, such as Ruby on Rails, PHP, jQuery, MySQL, and WordPress. Recent
projects include a social networking tool for scientists, an auction
management system and online catalog, an internship application and candidate
tracking system, and an e-commerce site for a small design studio.
- Design and implement custom web and database applications, including
writing feature specifications, creating prototypes for review, designing data
models and relational database schema, developing application architectures,
and coding modules (Ruby, Rails, PHP, MySQL, FileMaker).
- Document system architectures, provide example code, and create procedures
for development processes, including source code control and application
deployment (Subversion, Capistrano).
- Design and develop user-focused application interfaces.
- Analyze user requirements and tasks to develop highly usable information
models; responsible for all writing and editing.
- Work with clients to develop realistic project specifications, schedules,
Persistence Software — 5/2001 to 7/2003
Persistence Software provided
high-performance object-relational mapping and distributed caching for J2EE
and C++ enterprise applications. Persistence was acquired by Progress Software in 2004.
Product Line Manager (2/2002 to 7/2003)
Product Marketing Manager (5/2001 to 2/2002)
- Managed product lifecycle for the company’s flagship enterprise software
product lines designed for software architects and developers in the Java/J2EE
and C++ markets.
- Led product marketing efforts, including writing product collateral,
technical white papers, and customer case studies, and developing
presentations for webinars and trade shows.
- Provided sales force and professional services consultants with training,
sales tools, and competitive information.
- Worked closely with Engineering to develop product roadmaps and
specifications based on market and customer requirements.
Cymerc Exchange — 12/1999 to 2/2001
Cymerc was a B2B
marketplace for high-end IT equipment, which supplemented standard
transactions with settlement, fulfillment, and partner services. Cymerc ceased
operations in February 2001.
Product Management and Development
- Wrote requirements definition documents, including detailed use cases and
functional specifications, for an online B2B auction site for surplus IT
- Coordinated integration of four teams’ efforts to merge user interface
designs from outside firms with back-end functionality developed by
Engineering (HTML, JSP, EJB).
- Implemented compelling content and Web-based systems to provide “sticky”
value to site users, including personalization, recommendation, and IT
Be Incorporated — 11/1996 to 12/1999
Be Incorporated was a
developer-focused software company that delivered ground- breaking products
including the BeBox, BeOS, and BeIA. Be sold its IP assets to
Palm, Inc. and ceased operations in 2001.
Webmaster (1/1999 to 12/1999)
Web Content Developer (11/1996 to 12/1998)
- Managed four person Web team. Allocated resources to tasks, prioritized
requests, and established online publication procedures. Managed external
design firms, and coordinated internal and external content creation.
- Authored hundreds of FAQs, dozens of tips and articles, and chapters of
the BeOS Users Guide. Edited the Be Developer Newsletter. Moderated the
BeDevNews mailing list.
- Wrote web applications for registered users, online surveys, conference
registrations (PHP, Frontier, FileMaker). Administered web server (FreeBSD,
Apache). Wrote content management and version control tools for team use, Bash
scripts for system maintenance.
Office of the Chancellor, U.C. Berkeley — 2/1991 to 8/1996
The University of California,
Berkeley is a leading research institution. With a campus population of
over 40,000 students, faculty, and staff, it’s a diverse community with
complex technical systems.
Systems Development Analyst (10/1993 to 8/1996)
Network Administrator and Support Analyst (12/1992 to 10/1993)
User Support Specialist (2/1991 to 12/1992)
- Provided extensive technical and project leadership. Developed and
delivered user training programs. Wrote extensive technical documentation.
Developed and published office technical standards. Managed department web
server, wrote and edited all site content.
- Designed and programmed client/server SQL database application (Sybase,
DataEdit) to replace a mainframe application, saving over US$60,000 per year
while tripling the number of users. Developed work group database systems
- Received a Distinguished Service Award for 1993-94.
University of California at Berkeley — 8/1985 to 5/1990
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology